Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Daily Life

Today is visit #7 with our little guys.

Josiah is back home for work and he will return (with my mom!) for court. I am able to visit the boys every day, for approximately 2-3 hours. Since I am by myself, they bring the boys in separately so I can spend quality time with each of them.

As most of you probably know, I can not give out too much information publicly. Once we pass court, we will be able to post pictures, videos, and more detailed information.

We are in a super cute little town. I love it. Typically, in small towns such as this one, there are no apartments or hotels for rent. My facilitator and I both assumed we would have to rent an apartment about an hour away and drive to the orphanage every day.

But this wonderful woman named Valentina recently quit her job as an English teacher at the local school and decided to open her own hotel. It is called, "Hotel Valentina." And it is about a 30 minute walk from the orphanage. It is so, so perfect! I am staying in a small room for 250 hyrvnia/night (approximately $21/night). And there is a little café attached to the hotel, so I can order a nice meal whenever I want to!

A typical day for me goes something like this:

9:00am-Wake up

10:00am-Breakfast in my room (fruit, bread, cheese, etc.)

11:00am-Walk to the orphanage

11:30am-Wait at the orphanage for them to "prepare" the children

11:45am-Visit with one child

1:00pm-Visit with second child

2:00/2:30-Walk home

Sometimes I stop on the way to buy groceries from the little market across the street

2:30/3:00pm-Lunch in the café. I order my lunch before I leave for the orphanage, so it is all ready for me when I return! They have a really nice selection of food: pizza, sandwiches, fish, borscht, crêpes, salads, etc. They have coffee with ice cream and kiwi, strawberry, and vanilla ice cream, too! Anyone who knows me probably knows that I LOVE my ice cream!

After lunch I return to my room and catch up on emails, paperwork, research, Skype calls with family and friends, etc. The boys have a lot of medical needs, and there is a lot to be done now to ensure everything will run smoothly when we take the boys out of the orphanage and fly home.

For dinner I usually eat an open faced sandwich with mustard and cheese. There is no refrigerator or stove in my hotel room, so I am eating a lot of cheese and bread and fruit.

In the evenings I usually watch TV (nothing is in English, but it's still fun. They have a Ukrainian version of 'The Voice!'!), read, or clean my little room.

Our court documents are being submitted tomorrow (Wednesday) in the capital city, and then we will wait for a court date. A court date is typically assigned about 10 business days after the documents are submitted. I did hear that for awhile it was only 7 business days for children with special needs, but I'm not sure if that is still true.

Please keep praying for this process. Pray that things will continue to move along quickly and smoothly, and that our boys would stay strong and healthy while we prepare to turn their little worlds upside down (in a good way!) :)

5 comments:

  1. Praying for you all!
    TheVoice is actually an European concept, it is based on the reality singing competition The Voice of Holland :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so interesting! I had no idea! Thanks for the info :)

      And thank you for your prayers! :)

      Delete
  2. So great to get an update! We emailed a couple of months ago. Please email me when you have time (now or when you are home) and let me know about the boys' sizes. I can't wait to see their pictures!

    Sue H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue! Thank you! Would you mind emailing me again? I can't seem to find our email conversation anywhere. :) Talk to you soon!

      Delete
  3. So awesome that you have a place to stay that is close so you can walk (and such a deal!).
    Love hearing about the details. Can't wait to hear/see more about the boys.

    ReplyDelete